Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fred Phelps can kiss our collective butts


I'm sure by now everyone has heard about Prop 8 being ruled unconstitutional in California. Judge Vaughan Walker ruled that "the freedom to marry is a fundamental right protected under the due process clause...Never has the state inquired into procreative capacity or intent before issuing a marriage license; indeed, a marriage license is more than a license to have procreative sexual intercourse...

"The evidence shows that the movement of marriage away from a gendered institution and toward an institution free from state-mandated gender roles reflects an evolution in the understanding of gender rather than a change in marriage. The evidence did not show any historical purpose for excluding same-sex couples from marriage, as states have never required spouses to have an ability or willingness to procreate in order to marry...

"Plaintiffs do not seek recognition of a new right. To characterize plaintiffs’ objective as “the right to same-sex marriage” would suggest that plaintiffs seek something different from what opposite-sex couples across the state enjoy —— namely, marriage. Rather, plaintiffs ask California to recognize their relationships for what they are: marriages."

BAM! GO JUDGE WALKER!

I think that these sentiments should demonstrate why we should just stop arguing already. Seriously. Gay people are people, straight people are also people. So why can't every person get married? It's ridiculous.

I don't care what your religion says. I really don't. You know why? It's not because I'm a heathen, and it's not because I don't respect your beliefs. It's because it doesn't matter.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter to you, or the people who belong to your church, or whatever. I'm saying it doesn't matter in the realm of law. Your religion, while it may bring you great comfort, has no place in politics. I'm sorry that your religion doesn't like gay people. I truly am. But please, don't use that against us.

What if my religion said that eating the flesh of animals is immoral, and I started lobbying to shut down every single meat production entity in the country? What if I spent millions of dollars campaigning and screaming that people who eat meat are all going to hell and should not be allowed to have rights under the law?

You would think I was crazy and lock me up.

Why is it so difficult to understand that

A. Homosexuality is not only a biological phenomenon, it also occurs in nature, and

B. We live in a country that grants freedom of religion, thus in turn meaning that we live in a country where your religious beliefs mean nothing in a court of law when your religious beliefs aim at taking away rights from other people on the grounds of they are your religious beliefs.

The thing about the Prop 8 trial is that only an idiot would have ruled in another direction. Seriously, other than the religious arguments, what else do the opponents of this issue have? Right. Nothing.

I can't believe that our so-called "advanced society" hasn't yet realized that we're acting like stubborn children.

No comments:

Post a Comment