Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Terrorsitter Club


I just needed a clever title. Sue me.

This morning, I woke up, checked my iPhone, and found a new email waiting for me. It was from Mia, an article by NPR talking about the AfPak border. I've written about this issue before, but here's an even stronger reason why this troop surge is not sufficient.

According to the article, "The militant Islamist groups based in the rugged Afghanistan-Pakistan border region — from al-Qaida to the Taliban — have apparently forged new "connections," according to U.S. intelligence officials, and may now be working together to target U.S. forces in Afghanistan."

HAH. I so called this. When I discussed the Durand Line in this blog, I mentioned my concern over the area. And I stand by my assertion back then.

"The only way I see that we can resolve this issue is to redraw the lines. It's like what's happening in Africa; we white people draw lines based on how much land we want and declare the separate sections as separate countries. But the consent of the people is not claimed, and because tribal areas are being shredded and split up, there is civil war and an entire continent of unrest."

This area is so tumultuous that terrorism thrives. With no stable, recognized government for a very large space, there is no way to secure it and make sure that terrorism doesn't. Thrive, that is.

Does our President not know this? What exactly does he hope to accomplish with this troop surge?

“The future of Afghanistan is inextricably linked to the future of its neighbor, Pakistan. In the nearly eight years since 9/11, al Qaeda and its extremist allies have moved across the border to the remote areas of the Pakistani frontier. This almost certainly includes al Qaeda's leadership: Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri. They have used this mountainous terrain as a safe haven to hide, to train terrorists, to communicate with followers, to plot attacks, and to send fighters to support the insurgency in Afghanistan. For the American people, this border region has become the most dangerous place in the world.”

Oh. Right.

Sometimes it worries me that I know things that my government tries to pretend aren't real things. In my International Forum class the other day, the kids who are usually in adamant support of any and all military actions were thrown as I described the Durand Line to them. They admitted to never hearing about it, and were unsure as to their opinions thereafter. THIS IS A PROBLEM.

And now, an open letter to the media:

Dear American Media,

I understand that Balloon Boy was a big story. It was a scandal. It was scary. It was sensational.

But come on. What happened to journalistic integrity? No one really watches the news anymore... no one except the people who will actually listen. So make them listen. Show them the Durand Line. Inform the public.

You're better than this,
Bri Castellini

No comments:

Post a Comment