Monday, March 29, 2010

Nobody's Perfect


You know what is starting to get on my nerves? This statement:

"I know the health care bill isn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction."

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

First off, the health "care" bill is mostly about health insurance reform; namely, getting it to everyone. Because everyone already has health care- you're not allowed to be denied a life threatening surgery.

Second off, something that isn't perfect isn't a step in the right direction. That's a logical fallacy. A step in the right direction would be perfect, but it would only have a small impact. If something is being put into policy that isn't perfect, then isn't it a step backwards? Wouldn't it just cause more problems, because now not only do we have to make more policy to complete the steps, but we also have to correct the policy we just passed! That doesn't make sense.

Third off, and finally, that's not a reason to support something. That's a cop-out statement that means "I've heard stuff from both sides, but I'm generally a liberal, so I should probably be in support of it. But I want to seem moderate, so I'll concede that there's some stuff wrong with it."

Don't be a zombie, guys. Come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment